Prev: Reactive Armor Next: Re: [SG] Discussion about weekend questions - Vehicle HW's

Re: [SG] More questions from the weekend

From: Adrian Johnson <adrian.johnson@s...>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 02:05:42 -0400
Subject: Re: [SG] More questions from the weekend

Hi Folks,

Allan said:

>Thanks! One change: artillery firing over "open sights" takes up two
actions.
>Change this to one action for these vehicle weapons as they are
essentially
>direct fire weapons.

Yeah, that makes sense.

>How about 12" x (greatest of target class and weapon class)? An RFAC/1
would
>still have 12" range bands, but an RFAC/2 against infantry would have
24"
>range bands. An HVC/5 would have 60.
>
>Hmm... I'm really beginning to like _this_ idea!

Though when it comes right down to it, 12" for an RFAC (20mm cannon,
say)
might be a bit short, too.

24" range bands for heavy weapons is looking a bit better, though this
means that bigger targets will be in the first couple of rangebands
almost
always.

This might work for the "heavy-weapons vs. infantry" problem, but would
make armoured targets *even weaker* than they already are...

>Sorry, "leave the impact effects as they are" but change the range
bands.
>Definitely any range band change has to propogate to the other vehicle
>weapons, too.

I thought that was what you meant.

>>I always give the RFAC at least a d10 impact vs. PA, but when we
played it
>>with "full effectiveness", we said that a minor hit was a suppression,
and
>>a major hit was d10x2 impact.  It seemed to work ok.
>
>That doesn't sound bad...

I like TomB's suggestion re PA for GMS - that you allow PA to be
targeted
like a point target, but shift up one for the guidance die, and only
take
the hit on a single PA trooper.  How about doing the same for other
heavy
weapons:  targeted as normal for infantry (whatever rangebands we end up
with, currently 12"), modify for cover etc., but when hits are worked
out,
one attack die beating the defense die just gives a suppression.  Two or
more die beating the defense die gives a suppression to the squad and
damages ONE PA trooper, who gets the FULL effect of the weapon.  So, a
PA
squad targeted by a RFAC/2 suffering a damaging hit (FC + QD both beat
defense die), then ONE PA trooper would suffer the d10x4 penetration
roll...

This would be different from regular infantry who can suffer more hits,
but
will only ever get a d8 impact from those hits.

(except if we make HW's like RFACs more effective, of course... :)

>>And nice to be able to play on a table big enough that we could
actually
>>have three platoons per side running about and not get in each others'
way
>>all the time.
>
>What was the table size?

I think TomB might have mentioned, but it was 6x10 or 6x12.  Plywood
board
surface over top of a pool table, with green groundcloth.

-Adrian

Adrian Johnson
adrian@stargrunt.ca
http://www.stargrunt.ca

Prev: Reactive Armor Next: Re: [SG] Discussion about weekend questions - Vehicle HW's