Prev: [SG] GMS vs. Infantry Next: [SG] The Tuffley 500

[SG] Vehicles and Infantry

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 21:28:12 -0400
Subject: [SG] Vehicles and Infantry

Allan said:

>(I can supply some guesses:
Appropriately
>strong anti-vehicle weapons, spotting
(infantry
>often live by being below the radar of
more
>obnoxious unit types), and a bias to be
more
>concerned about other vehicular threats).

Vehicles only have two actions, same as a
squad. It would
seem to me that a vehicle all by its
lonesome is still going
to be in trouble, even with realistic
defensive weapons. I
suspect that Jon was more worried about
vehicles dominating
the game than he really needed to be.

[Tomb] Ah yes, but the discussion I'm
having is the opposite. To wit: Make a
vehicle behave appropriately (for example,
if the crew is all manning a weapons
station, let them all fire in the same fire
action). Let them fire on the move. Then,
you suddenly HAVE the risk of domination.
What then deters vehicles from dominating
in real life? The unknown nature of combat
(ie who is behind each bush - lots of
spots), where are the enemy tanks (worry
for all armour units), how hard are the
infantry to spot (if hiding, probably very),
etc. I'm suggesting trying a model where
the tanks and other vehicles are modelled
as more ferocious, but their limitations are
also modelled to compensate. Call it a
thought excercise or an excercise in
simulation. It isn't for everyone, but I'm
already a self admitted "simulationist"
rather than a "tabletop gamer".

Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: [SG] GMS vs. Infantry Next: [SG] The Tuffley 500