Prev: Re: US Steppe cammo ? Next: RE: [SGII] AAR, Crouching weasle, hidden danger

Re: [DS] Some questions from this weekend

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 16:49:41 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [DS] Some questions from this weekend

--- Thomas Barclay <kaladorn@magma.ca> wrote:

> On the other side, we had 6 MDC armed fast
> GEV grav tanks, 6 DFFG armed fast GEV tanks,
> 12 fast GEV APCs, 8 hi-mob wheeled APCs, 4 hi-
> mob wheeled HKP armed TDs, and 20 infantry
> stands. 2 3-gun batteries of heavy artillery with
> 4 shots each any type (MRLS). They also had 6
> hover jeeps with recce/spotters.

Am I the only one that really dislikes mixed-mobility
forces?

> 1) Does the game permit you to call artillery by
> grid reference (ie no spotter, pre-registered
> fire points). If so, when? If we assume that

No.

> everything on the battlefield is known because
> of drones, sensors, sat recon, etc., then one
> should be able to drop shots on top of the
> enemy anytime without spotters. If we assume
> this is not the case, do spotters then have to
> make some sort of sighting rolls to see the
> enemy?

No.

> 2) Artillery comes down mightily fast. If I have
> three or four attack waves driving forward with
> a 1" separation (100m) and the enemy drops a
> salvo in open-sheaf upon me, i'm only going to
> be able to move at maximum one of these
> units, even though ostensibly the entire wave is
> moving concurrently. Hitting moving targets
> thus seems awfully simple. We thought this was
> a bit much. Is that just me or has anyone else

Nope.  Your fool commander should not have CRS so
badly that he bunched up like that.

> sense. Plus, there seems to be no quality roll or
> anything to determine if the artillery is on target
> and effectual. It just seems to arrive. Or did I
> miss something?

Nope.  Artillery comes where you tell it to come.
With modern ballistic science, artillery, even
unguided comes down where the FDC tells it to 99%+ of
the time.  FDC is an AI nowdays.  What's left is the
primary cause of artillery not hitting the target in
any era:  Spotter Error.  However, with GPS in every
helmet and laser rangefinders on every rifle, then
that is reduced.  There's still a chance of error, but
not a significant one given the ground scale and the
fact that the artillery shells are all carrier rounds
with lots of little submunitions saturating the impact
area.

> 3) Can vehicles alone close assault infantry? If
> not, why not?

I'm inclined to say NO, because it's called Infantry
Close Assault.	But it doesn't say so.

> 4) Can infantry close assault vehicles with no
> supporting infantry?

All it says is that the target must be one enemy unit
holding a single position or location.

My question would be WHY?  There's no benefit that
shooting at them with IAVRs wouldn't bring.

> 5) I have my tank in the edge of an urban area,
> ostensibly using buildings for cover. Is this
> considered "soft cover"? if so, why? If not, what
> is it considered?

For what purposes?  For direct fire from heavy
weapons?  Yes.

John

Prev: Re: US Steppe cammo ? Next: RE: [SGII] AAR, Crouching weasle, hidden danger