Prev: Re: REALITY CHECK TIME! Next: RE: Painting

Re: [SG] Discussion about weekend questions

From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@q...>
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 20:37:08 -0400
Subject: Re: [SG] Discussion about weekend questions

TomB said:
> >Ultimately,	you get three actions worth of
> >movement when any other unit could get
> >but two.

Adrian rebutted:
> Not at all.  One unit gets two actions of movement, then a separate
unit,
> in a separate activation, gets two actions of movement (one is the
> "disembark").  If the squad was NOT in the vehicle, then the vehicle
could
> spend two actions in movement and the squad two actions in movement
and
> there would be no issue, right?

Correct, but that's an artifact of the turn sequence.	If you follow
it, you get absurd results.  Picture a race between grav APCs.	The
red one pours on the hydrogen and zooms off at top speed, moving down
the track.  The green one also zooms off, but then slams to a stop,
whereupon troops jump out and run past the speeding grav vehicle.  No,
sorry, I don't buy it.

I think it would make more sense to say it costs an action for both
the squad and the vehicle; but if you don't want that, then charge the
VEHICLE one action.

>  In this case the squad is moved by the
> vehicle, but that's pretty much the WHOLE POINT of putting troops in
> APCs... to get extra movement distance (well, and to protect them
from
> arty, but that isn't such a big deal in an average SG game).

Not in one turn.  If you keep your troopies in APCs for several turns,
then they will move farther than they could if they dismounted	and
ran.

> More importantly, it's what the rules say you can do :)

<grin> And as Jon keeps saying, "Play the...

Prev: Re: REALITY CHECK TIME! Next: RE: Painting