Prev: Re: Multi-genre Dirtside II at conventions... Next: [SG] More questions from the weekend

[DS] Some questions from this weekend

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 23:14:20 -0400
Subject: [DS] Some questions from this weekend

This weekend saw a pair of gaming sessions in
Kingston. They raised some questions in my
mind about interpretation of rules and reality
(both obviously separate from the other...). So
I thought I'd air some of them in this forum for
some feedback.

The first was a DS2 battle - a river valley with 4
urban objectives fought over by two minor
powers with some external sponsorship. It was
nasty in that these two groups were fighting
over the urban areas and the winner would
"cleanse" the towns of collaborators,
insurgents, etc. Having the same goal made for
a level moral playing field, and really was
outside of the course of the game except that
the presence of friendlies in the objectives
meant no town artillery.

The whole scenario was sparked off by the
ambush of a side A convoy by side B insurgents
(3 x Phalanx APCs + 5 trucks ambushed by 4
militia stands with IAVRs and an APSW stand).

On the one side (side A - the "Rescue Force"),
we had 24 tracklayer MBTs (fast tracked) with
HKPs, 18 tracklayer AIFVs with RFACs (and
perhaps GMS), 18 infantry stands, and  6 jeeps
with recce/spotters. They had 2 3-gun batteries
of medium artillery (203mm howitzers) with 3
shots each any type. They also got the five
insurgent stands (the convoy forces didn't
matter for long as they were vaporized without
doing much damage - I think they ended up
getting one enemy vehicle).

On the other side, we had 6 MDC armed fast
GEV grav tanks, 6 DFFG armed fast GEV tanks,
12 fast GEV APCs, 8 hi-mob wheeled APCs, 4 hi-
mob wheeled HKP armed TDs, and 20 infantry
stands. 2 3-gun batteries of heavy artillery with
4 shots each any type (MRLS). They also had 6
hover jeeps with recce/spotters.

The game unfolded in favour of side B, though
side A controlled two of the objectives at the
end. The casualties inflicted, other than the
convoy, were mostly from side B's artillery.

A few questions arose:

1) Does the game permit you to call artillery by
grid reference (ie no spotter, pre-registered
fire points). If so, when? If we assume that
everything on the battlefield is known because
of drones, sensors, sat recon, etc., then one
should be able to drop shots on top of the
enemy anytime without spotters. If we assume
this is not the case, do spotters then have to
make some sort of sighting rolls to see the
enemy?

2) Artillery comes down mightily fast. If I have
three or four attack waves driving forward with
a 1" separation (100m) and the enemy drops a
salvo in open-sheaf upon me, i'm only going to
be able to move at maximum one of these
units, even though ostensibly the entire wave is
moving concurrently. Hitting moving targets
thus seems awfully simple. We thought this was
a bit much. Is that just me or has anyone else
seen this? I'm not suggesting artillery isn't
effective, I'm merely suggesting that because of
the move A, move B, move A nature of the
game, it is very hard for an attack force to
move together and thus large chunks of it may
be exposed when this really doesn't quite make
sense. Plus, there seems to be no quality roll or
anything to determine if the artillery is on target
and effectual. It just seems to arrive. Or did I
miss something?

3) Can vehicles alone close assault infantry? If
not, why not?

4) Can infantry close assault vehicles with no
supporting infantry?

5) I have my tank in the edge of an urban area,
ostensibly using buildings for cover. Is this
considered "soft cover"? if so, why? If not, what
is it considered?

Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: Re: Multi-genre Dirtside II at conventions... Next: [SG] More questions from the weekend