Prev: Re: [Campaign] Drawing Hexes & maps in general and playing. Next: Re: [Campaign] Drawing Hexes

Re: [Campaign] Criteria

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2002 09:12:54 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: [Campaign] Criteria

--- KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de wrote:

> It all depends on the scale and basic assumptions of
> your campaign.

And therein lies the rub.  Design a campaign system
where tiny frontier colonies can build battleships and
it won't work for my vision of the GZGverse, where the
PAU can barely manage any capital ship construction
(states in corrected FB that the heart of their
battleline is 5 BDNs purchased from ESU) never mind
Planet Podunk.

On the other hand, those who like the "strategic"
scale where they are playing pen-and-paper versions of
Command and Conquer won't be happy if they can't build
a shipyard in 60 seconds that can produce battleships
as fast as their workers can bring in resources.

> As to the central government: if they are not really
> able to supply
> ships to the frontier, they may actually encourage
> the colonies to do
> something for self-defence, e.g. Australia and
> Britain in WWII.

Again, depends on your assumptions.

IMU, there's a tight control over FTL cores capable of
moving capital ships, as well as very limited slip
space in a handful of yards.

Laserlight's IFed has such limited shipbuilding
capabilities that they pretty much make nothing but a
handful of large drives with a tiny crew cabin
strapped on, then dock a pack of destroyers and
cruisers to 'em and call that a squadron.

John

Prev: Re: [Campaign] Drawing Hexes & maps in general and playing. Next: Re: [Campaign] Drawing Hexes