Prev: Re: Merkava Mk.4 Next: Re: [DS2, SG2] A useful little book

Re: Acronym Overload

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 08:26:26 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: Acronym Overload

--- Thomas Barclay <kaladorn@magma.ca> wrote:
> Anyone else notice we have two conversations
> going on (one about 10mm Brits and the other
> about photography) both of which are refering
> to SLRs?  Of course, I know the difference
> (having been trained on and worked with an FN-
> C1) but I just find it interesting how mangled
> some poor folk can get with acronyms.

Those of us who don't know what an SLR is in relation
to photography (me, for instance) stopped reading the
'photographing miniatures' thread last week sometime.

> And just so no one feels slighted - ANYONE on
> this list seems miles ahead of those in the rest
> of the Internet. We use a lot of short forms and
> most people manage (after a fashion). Try a
> quarter of them (and I'm not even talking ones
> like AVLB or APFSDSDU or MILNAVPAC) in the
> outside world, and you get a lot of ????????

I feel like I'm talking to a child when speaking to
some of my relatives.  Talk slow, use short words and
simple sentence structure.  Explain all big words.
Other than my parents, of course (Dad is a retired
warrent officer, and my mother speaks Army by
osmosis).

John

Prev: Re: Merkava Mk.4 Next: Re: [DS2, SG2] A useful little book