Prev: Re: [OT] USAF plane nomenclature Next: Re: AFV Driving was RE: Titanium snails

Re: Titanium snails

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 09:53:13 -0400
Subject: Re: Titanium snails

wrote:
>>  I think the basic stimulus to the evolution of these things was to
come up
>>  with something capable of making holes in titanium-alloy weapons.
>
>No, just some small insect that could take out a tank that J.A.
>couldn't just blast off with his pressure washer.  :)
>
>BTW, I know next to nothing about tanks, but I can't recall much
>on a bulldozer (other than the exposed engine) that a pressure
>washer could hurt.  I've never seen a zirc fitting let water
>into the inner bearings.

Its not the Zerc fitting, its the bearing seals where the shaft comes
out. You can get water inside the dust and grease seal. Believe me.

>Just out of curiousity, do you use a steering wheel on a tank
>or two levers like a 'dozer?  I'm guess the levers may have once
>been used but not currently.

Depends on the tank and the transmission. Some things have T handles
(handle bars) like M114s and M1 Abrams. Some things have brake levers
(2 pairs, 1 pair is a set of brakes for each side, the other is a set
of direction levers for neutral steer, etc). The Universal Carrier
has a steering wheel that moves a rod that moves road wheels or the
front idler (can't recall) and at the extreme end of is travel (thus
warping the trcak in a certain direction) actually stops a side from
turning.
Ryan Gill		  rmgill@mindspring.com
	 |	  |

Prev: Re: [OT] USAF plane nomenclature Next: Re: AFV Driving was RE: Titanium snails