Prev: RE: [HIST] Japanese Culture shock Next: RE: Magic Wash

Magic Wash

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 17:43:08 -0400
Subject: Magic Wash

Finally trying the magic wash thing. A few
questions:

What ration of magic wash stock (1:4
future:water mix) and ink should one use? (I
find inks seem to be very strong, so I'd assume
something dilute?) And similarly, what ratio with
paint? (some ballpark guestimates or "this is
what I do" would suffice)

Also, I heard you can add a drop or two of
dish detergent to good effect. Though I forget
exactly why - surfactant? Or do I misremember?

Also, lastly, I've heard it suggested you should
use a separate brush for it. Why? If you wash
your brush with soap and water after the fact,
why would it matter? (I ask because I'm loathe
to write off one of my sable brushes to this mix
but I do want to try it out).

I'm painting ESU Heavy infantry. I have painted
them in an autumnal camo pattern. Only one
worry - if I wash brown, it'll probably sit int he
grooves on the quilted coat. Not sure if that will
look bad on top of the camouflage colours or
not. Have to try it on one and see.
PPS - Colour scheme:
OD green base (Tamiya)
Hell Hound Brown splotches
Yellow 06 Armouries paint splotches (have to
find out what the actual colour of this is!)
Some packs and high boots are Minotaur
Brown.
Khaki Drab for chest mag pouches, ruck, and
webgear (Tamiya)
Sun tan, Asian, or other related shades for
flesh.
Drow Flesh for KI-72 AR and the SAW.

Will post some pix to stargrunt.ca (warning: I'm
no amazo-painter, so I don't expect them to
rival Mr. Cho's photos, nor those of the likes of
the Great Ghostly Crimmins and his ilk). But
they'll be serviceable for wargaming. :)
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: RE: [HIST] Japanese Culture shock Next: RE: Magic Wash