Prev: Re: [OT] Linking Ammo Next: RE: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers

Re: [OT] Linking Ammo

From: Flak Magnet <flakmagnet@t...>
Date: 26 Jun 2002 16:57:07 -0400
Subject: Re: [OT] Linking Ammo

On Wed, 2002-06-26 at 16:40, Ryan M Gill wrote:
> >Are cloth belts still in modern use?

Ah, so as vintage MG's are still probably in use amongst some countries,
they probably ARE still in use.  Neat!

> Oh, here's a really good example of cloth belts for the Vickers.
>
> http://www.vickersmachinegun.org.uk/collection/collect46.jpg

Waaah!	I want an attic/loft filled with old MGs and military
paraphenalia  (my basement that has my duffel bags stuffed with old
clothing and boots doesn't count).

> The nice thing about cloth belts is that you can turn them out with a
> basic cloth loom machine. A bit easier on the budget vs stamping out
> metal links. In a very limited industrial economy, such a means of
> feeding a weapon is pretty good. Additionally some weapons can fire
> cloth belts or metallic link (some M1919s) with equal ease (mostly).

> The problem with cloth belts (aside from fixed length) is that when
> wet, they swell and that they can rot. However, metallic link can
> rust. Taking a freshly wet belt and placing it in the sun will dry it
> out. A rusted pile of links are just garbage. The proof against
> rotten belts is dunking the lot in ATF or a similar light oil. Such
> keeps the action cleaner and prevents rotting.

I also heard that there was a problem with Vickers belts stretching and
not holding the rounds securely, something they would address by washing
them and the resulting shrinkage would tighten them right back up.
Though this was an article about a "full auto" collector's club out west
(US).  I didn't think that militaries would still be using the guns
today.

--

--Flak Magnet
Hive Fleet Jaegernaught

Prev: Re: [OT] Linking Ammo Next: RE: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers