Prev: Re: [HIST??] Culture shock Next: Re: [HIST??] Culture shock

RE: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 16:50:59 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: [sg] platoon stuff and combat engineers

--- Beth.Fulton@csiro.au wrote:

> I had missed the first in my list of "secondary
> skills" I've identified for
> the squads, but I did have the mechanics.

Also clerks, cooks, accountants, lawyers, police,
priests. . .

> Yep, though I have a feeling it will be smaller than
> the logistical
> structure of more conventional forces you guys have
> devised as there is much
> more self sufficiency involved here (and smaller
> ammo sizes etc). Though I
> realise (based on effects in ancient campaigns) that
> that may mean I could
> pay heavily if an opponent opts for
> environmental/slash and burn tactics.

OK, I'll buy 50 guys foraging for food.  Probably not
too hard if in an agricultural area or one developed
enough to have supermarkets.

Ammo, I'll buy that you could acquire rifle ammunition
in small quantities from sporting good stores (most of
it will be useless as it will be the wrong caliber)
and farmer who do their own reloading.	You will not
find enough to keep a platoon of riflemen in rounds
for sustained operations.

Mortar ammo, linked machinegun ammo, and guided
missles will be far more difficult to come by.

Radio parts you'll find.  But not the specific kinds
you need to fix microminiature frequency-hopping
helmet radios.

Spare parts, especially for power armor, will also
pose a problem.

Unless you're defending a refinery there will also be
a shortage of POL products.

> As crazy as it sounds I saw less people involved and
> more automation... but
> I'm probably putting too much trust in future
> computer use ;)

Can your computer make judgement calls?  There will be
times when you'll have to decide just how important
are these targets anyway?

You've got 4 guns available.  One recon team has
reported that there's a company of tanks parked in the
open with hatches open, tankers lined up behind a
truck eating chow, ec.	The other team is being
overrun by a 2 platoons of enemy militia.  Who gets
the guns?

> > I've always wanted to try blowing my way into a
> walled
> > city in an SF game. . .
>
> Hopefully we'll be seeing a bit of that ;)

Time-delay fuzes and direct fire howitzers will help
with making the initial breach. . .

John

Prev: Re: [HIST??] Culture shock Next: Re: [HIST??] Culture shock