Prev: Re: [HIST] Japanese Culture shock Next: [OT] Linking Ammo

Re: [HIST??] Culture shock

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 14:40:09 -0400
Subject: Re: [HIST??] Culture shock

At 7:29 PM +0200 6/24/02, Oerjan Ohlson wrote:

>Quoting the quote from your previous post: "The Royal Marines had
>taken on a warship, and won the fight."

That is from the web site actually. Note the FROM. If you read the
account, they state that the argentine ship was forced to suffer the
fire twice and then put out at a great range and turned. During the
shore to ship fight where the Argies were pretty much crawling around
their ship trying not to get plugged by 20 diggers with small arms
the other Argie assets were ferrying more infantry ashore.

>OK, *you* didn't say that they won - but the quote you included in
>your post did say precisely that, and I saw no mention of the
>subsequent RM surrender in either of your posts.

Strictly speaking the Marines "lost" but when you add up the cost,
the Argies clearly came out the loosers in lost material. Add to
that, the RM's were returned to the UK by way of Bolivia and returned
to the theatre to fight.

>>I said they worked the ship over, then surrendered.
>
>Hm? Please re-post the part where you said they surrendered - I must
>have missed that completely in your previous posts :-( The post with
>the quote from the small-wars web page ended one word after "...won
>the fight."

Ok. Well, lets see. The Argies invaded the Falklands and South
Georgia, then the RMs either did one of two things. Surrendered after
the Government gave them leave to or they died. These RM's lived to
fight another day. So they must have surrendered. The website gave
specific account to that though I didn't mention it in my own text. I
thought it was pretty implicit.

>Respectful against the Argies, but not against the local weather
>conditions... two Wessex 5s crashed on the Fortuna glacier while
>attempting to save a SAS party who were freezing to death :-/

The entire environment was pretty crappy there. However the original
point stands that the RM's gave a very heavy accounting for
themselves.

- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@SPAmindspring.com			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@SPAMturner.com		 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: Re: [HIST] Japanese Culture shock Next: [OT] Linking Ammo