Prev: Re: [HIST??] Culture shock Next: RE: [HIST??] Culture shock

Re: [sg] UXBs

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@w...>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 16:55:14 +1000
Subject: Re: [sg] UXBs

From: "John Atkinson" <johnmatkinson@yahoo.com>

> > When I went to school in the early 1960's, we were
> > taught to recognize
> > ordnance, not !!!!! to handle it and to inform the
> > police.
>
> Which is absolutely right.

I was born in the UK in late 50s.

I can still remember the training films all young kids
got to see when they went to the seaside.

How to recognise the various types of anti-personnel mine
laid on the beaches 20 years earlier, and what to do
about them.

ie Leave them alone, call an adult.

Exception: those with tripwires. If tangled in one of
those you stay still, and scream for help.

I expect people in the US of a similar generation will
remember "duck and cover" the same way. We never had
those types of drill in the UK: with several A1 priority
targets within a few miles, each worthy of several 1-Megaton
warheads, there wasn't any point.

So the next time someone talks about the "good old days"
I make a renewed vow that my little son will never have

Prev: Re: [HIST??] Culture shock Next: RE: [HIST??] Culture shock