Prev: Re: [HIST??] Culture shock Next: Re: [OT] What passport?

Re: What passport?

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@w...>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 19:24:09 +1000
Subject: Re: What passport?

From: "Donogh McCarthy" <donoghmc@hotmail.com>

> >>I suspect that in time all of the EU may let passport requirements
>>ease
> >>for inter EU travel of EU citizens
>
> >It has already. No European needs a passport to travel within the EU.
> >However, most countries insist that their citizens carry proof of
> > >identity.
>
> Except for the UK & Ireland, who opted out of the Schengen Agreement,
and
we
> need passports to travel around the EU (except to one another)

Not quite.

IF you happen to get into an EU country (using whatever type of
passport)
AND you're a UK resident citizen, THEN you can get an ID card in that
country,
which means you can travel in the EU without a passport. You can enter
the
UK
as well, as you have UK resident citizenship, it says so on your German
ID
card.
And you can leave the UK - but only to an EU country, if you don't have
passport, because the ID card shows you to be a resident of Germany.

As in someone who holds dual UK/Australian nationality living
temporarily in

Prev: Re: [HIST??] Culture shock Next: Re: [OT] What passport?