Prev: Re: Away with ye, foul Chits of Doom! Next: Re: Away with ye, foul Chits of Doom!

Re: TABLETOP DEBRIS

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@a...>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 11:27:22 -0500
Subject: Re: TABLETOP DEBRIS

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002 19:08:40 +0100, Ground Zero Games <jon@gzg.com>
wrote:

>I'd be the first to agree that the chits are NOT a perfect solution for
>aesthetic reasons, BUT I still think they are better than the
alternatives
>in terms of ease of play; in our defence, please note that we do
mention in
>SG2 that we acknowledge that some players will object to the visual
>effects, and may prefer to use off-table status sheets to either write
the
>data or to put the chits on.

It's hard to figure out how else to do it. If it were easy and obvious,
DAWGIE
wouldn't have asked us for suggestions.

>If you are willing to go to the trouble of making scenic pieces and
extra
>figures to replace the chits, then that's great, and the ideas that
have
>been put forward over the last couple of days are generally very good -
>anyone mind if we nick some of them to put in FMA and other stuff?

Nope, you can use any of the ones I suggested.

I'm probably going to do the following:

- Leadership and Quality: sticker on the bottom of the figure.
- Confidence: small stand for the leader: 1 rock (or bush, not sure yet)
for
steady, 2 for shaken, 3 for broken, 4 four routed. The figure gets more
"cover" as morale drops, and Confident doesn't require anything.
- Activation: small rock
- Suppression: not sure. Maybe some home made shell craters on a base.
Still
have to think about this.
- Dummy: the "generic" hidden figure on a base.
- In Position: logs or twigs beside the figures
- Casualties: probably just do as I've been doing, which is knocking
over a
figure if wounded, placing a white skull if incapacitated and placing a
black
skull if dead.

The body bag figures you make are good for dead figures, but I find that
in
most cases you don't need to mark dead figures.

I'm still thinking about casualties...

>All this aside, I STILL far prefer on-table status marking systems (be
they
>chits, figures, BB slugs, whatever) over writing status notes on record
>sheets - the latter are FAR to easily overlooked in the heat of
battle.....
>"Oh, drat, I forgot that that unit was down to Shaken already - ah
well,
>too late now...."    ;-)

If you're like me, you also find that space is a premium. You either
have to
constantly turn around for the status sheets or you end up with them on
the
table. I'm thinking, once I have something semi permanent, of having a
dice
rolling table and a way of hanging the status records off the sides of
the
table. This makes it hard to write on, so that means the best bet is to
keep
all record keeping on the table.

http://www.hyperbear.com

unimaginable mortician was revealed!"
 - from the Random H.P. Lovecraft Story Generator:

Prev: Re: Away with ye, foul Chits of Doom! Next: Re: Away with ye, foul Chits of Doom!