Prev: RE: Re: FT-EMP/NEEDLE WEAPONS Next: Re: [SGII/FMA] Fire Hawk Down

Re: armor penatration - angle is important

From: Roger Books <books@j...>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 10:23:27 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: armor penatration - angle is important

On 28-May-02 at 21:20, Scott Siebold (gamers@ameritech.net) wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am new to the list so if I goof up on this, have some forgiveness
and
> don't flame out.
> Let me know if  "wrong list", "off the subject" or something else
wrong.

> I read one of the articles about angled armor and I believe the author

> missed the
> point. The angle that an AP (armor piercing) round hits at does
matters
> and makes
> the armor effectively thicker.

Sorry about the late reply, I'm going through old e-mails.

What was finally determined is sloped armour is no better for
thickness of armour than an _equivalent mass_ of non-sloped
armour.  As a matter of fact it may be a bit worse because
you need a larger undercarriage to have the same internal
volume.

However... Sloped armour increases the chance of a glancing shot.
This is where you gain.

I'm not going into the math, anyone with basic geometry can work
through it themselves.	For those without the math is in the
archives.

Prev: RE: Re: FT-EMP/NEEDLE WEAPONS Next: Re: [SGII/FMA] Fire Hawk Down