Prev: HARD SCIENCE OR FUN? Next: TABLETOP DEBRIS

Re: Dropships vs. Dropcaps

From: "Robert Minadeo" <raminad@e...>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 09:08:46 -0400
Subject: Re: Dropships vs. Dropcaps

> That's the mission profile of EVERY airborne
> operation.  Sure, there's an exfiltration plan or a
> plan to send in relief, but the likelyhood of that
> actually happening is not 100%.  Just ask those guys
> Monty left to die in Arnhem while the Guards tankers
> were making tea.
>
> John

When exactly was the last major parachute operation? and why?

The advent of VTOL aircraft pretty much nailed the coffin shut on major
para
drops. Special operations is another matter.

It's easy enough to envision our descendents forgetting the lessons of
the
past and thinking,"gee it would be really neat to find a cheap way to
drop
lots of troops. We can always pick them up after the battle is over..."
But
that still differs from the WWII era when there was no practical way to
pick
them up until the battle was over.

Prev: HARD SCIENCE OR FUN? Next: TABLETOP DEBRIS