Prev: RE: Re: [SG] Point costs. Next: Re: DS/SG Landings

Re: DS2 design querIES - NPC (Native People's Circle)

From: John Atkinson <johnmatkinson@y...>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 10:53:40 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: DS2 design querIES - NPC (Native People's Circle)

--- Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@juno.com> wrote:

> NO, mostly just the pre-conceived NPC view of 'war'
> - and their love of
> GMS/H's.  Each small national group in my
> mini-campaign has a 'faorite'
> weapons system.

May be useful from a flavor perspective, but. . .

<rant>
Every weapon system (except HELs, but maybe that's
just me, maybe someone else plays on a pool table with
no terrain and can use their range advantage well
enough to make up for the fact that they have more or
less no punch) has it's own specific tactical niche,
and specializing in one particular weapon can result
in an inflexible force with major weaknesses.  For
instance, GMS's are most useful when you're trying to
fit a reasonable AT capability on a size 1 or 2
vehicle, or as a secondary weapon on a vehicle who's
main focus is something else (ie, IFVs).  MDCs are
lethal at size 4 or 5, sometimes a size 3 is good vs.
light vehicle.	So it's a great tank main gun, less
useful for light vehicles.  Power requirement sucks
much bad--it's only a viable option for your topline
forces.  I could do this for each weapon, but it's
pretty self-evident.
</rant>

> >If not, you're wasting a really spectacular amount
> of
> >points for nothing.	You don't often need to throw
> >more than 2 GMS/Hs at 1 target, even if it's got
> PDS
> >and ECM at a reasonable level.  Doesn't hit every
> >time, but often enough to get your point across.
>
> I'm not quite as bad as some other list members (or
> Larry leadhead) but,
> right now  I roll a seperate die for each missile to
> see if it beats the
> ECM and PDS high roll.  Done the latter both ways,
> one roll (of multiple
> dice using highest roll) or matched rolls (1 per
> GMS) burt the latter
> takes longer.

Right, that's how I do it.

I'm not as into statistical analysis, but I know that
I run 5 size-2 tank destroyers with 2 GMS/H Superiors
as a tank destroyer platoon.  Until they take some
casualties, they destroy (reduce to 1 vehicle or wiped
out) an enemy tank platoon per turn.  More is wasting
points, less is pissin' on 'em instead of kicking 'em.

John

Prev: RE: Re: [SG] Point costs. Next: Re: DS/SG Landings