Prev: Re: [SG] Hostages Next: Re: Many things

Re: Many things - mostly very late aviation

From: Michael Llaneza <maserati@e...>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 22:03:27 -0700
Subject: Re: Many things - mostly very late aviation

The Red Air Force had no chance to handle the Allied heavy bomber
offensive. Their armies would have withered on the vine as heavy bombers

smashed their supply lines and airfields. No tank fights well without
gas. Both air forces were combat experienced, with a probable edge to
the USAAF in training and doctrine [1]. Put the US had the P-80 coming
on line, and the Meteor was ready for series production as well. The
Soviets had a few dozen rocket interceptors in service, but not much
prospect for a front line jet fighter anytime soon. Add airborne radar
to the Allied technological advantage. Given air superiority there is
every reason to believe that the Soviet tank corps could find themselves

trapped at the end of a long and vulnerable supply line and without air
cover. At least the Germans had the advantage of short supply lines. The

Soviets could even stand to lose Siberia to American , British and
Commonwealth troops intended for the invasion of Japan. Two million men
thrown against	the troops holding a static front against the Japanese.
I give the honors to the Allies, with all of Eastern Europe and Siberia
liberated by English speaking troops.

That said,

I must give the Red Air Force full credit for an excellent job in the
role for which it was designed: close air support. I've recently
acquired a healthy respect for the Reds in the air, I've been playing a
lot of a Russian made flight sim. Even given a certain natural bias,
just from the different perspective, the Russian aircraft perform well
in all roles -- at least by the end of the war as the Luftwaffe had a
notable advantage through 1942. They had an excellent ground attack
plane in the Sturmovik, and fighters to escort it at low level and some
to go up for air superiority and go after the mediocre bombers the
Germans had.

But nothing to cope with hundreds of P-80s in service by the end of
1945. And thousands in 1946.

[1] I use doctrine to mean the rules, procedures, shared assumptions and

philosophy of a military service as a finghting entity. That covers the
range from line and column tactics to modern armored Maneuver Warfare,
it's just what you call whatever it is that they actually do.