Prev: Re: [OT] Invading America Next: Re: Fir-Built Frigates

Re: Many things

From: Allan Goodall <agoodall@a...>
Date: Fri, 31 May 2002 10:15:51 -0500
Subject: Re: Many things

On Thu, 30 May 2002 22:08:40 -0400, "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@magma.ca>
wrote:

>2) Graveyard scenarios: Very neat idea actually.
>Of course, Nyarlathotep or Cthuga would be
>interesting visitors.... :)

Cthuga and Nyarlathotep (sometimes colloquially called "Nigel Laptop")
would
be a _wee_ bit nasty for any sized force you could put on the table
(well,
Nigel would depend on the aspect that he used, but most of them are real
nasty...). I suggest a shoggoth or three, Dark Young of Shub Niggurath,
and
the occasional Star Spawn of Cthulhu. Dark Young are particularly good,
as
they are often mistaken for trees when standing still and in the darkest
of
night. I have a scenario brewing for this...

By the way, how would you treat these bigger nasties (but not full out
Great
Old Ones) in SG2? Treat them as vehicles, sort of?

>3) War of 1812: The foremost people who got
>screwed were the Indians led by Tecumseh.

I believe I stated that early on, when I said that the First Nations
were the
biggest losers of the war.

> Now, OTOH, Canucks
>like to trumpet about burning Washington. In
>some sense, people who lived or were
>stationed here did that... but it was BRIT REGS
>(maybe with some irregulars from local area)
>that did this, not really Canadians.

Very true. And it was in retaliation for the Americans burning and
looting of
York (Toronto).

>9) WW2: John, hate to break it to you buddy,
>but the Germans were going down in any event.
>If the US hadn't decided to launch Overlord, it
>just would have given the Russians carte
>blanche to take the rest of Europe.

My World War II professor said that he believed it would take the USSR,
or the
US, and probably both, to defeat Nazi Germany. It depended on what
happened
with Japan. If Japan had attacked the Soviets instead of the Americans,
the
world would have ended up looking a whole lot different.

Without the US taking on Japan, the Axis probably would have won the
war. Once
Japan was engaged, though, Germany was going to be defeated. The only
question
was by whom.

>BTW: I have read accounts from US sources that
>suggested that the US would not have been
>able to deploy another atomic warhead after
>Nagasaki for some months, perhaps even a
>long enough period for the Russians to push
>the Allied armies into the sea.

Sorry, Tom, this is flat out wrong. Transport of the second plutonium
core
(Fat Man used a plutonium core, Little Boy a uranium core) and initiator
was
stopped on August 11, 1945 by G. C. Marshall. The Americans would have
had a
third atomic bomb on Tinian ready for dropping on Japan on or around
August 17
to 18.

However, your point is still valid. On September 15, 1945 it was stated
in a
report that 209 atomic bombs would be needed if the enemy was the Soviet
Union. However, by June of 1946 the US had a total of 9 Fat Man style
bombs in
stockpile. The limiting factor in manufacturing them was producing
enough
plutonium.

>PS - I too dislike web-boards. The list, esp with
>archives, is a treat. Killfile the people you don't
>want to hear from or use the awesome and
>godlike power of the delete key! It's kinda like a
>Jedi Mind Trick:

I'm sort of partial to Yahoo groups, because you can set it up for web
distribution or e-mail distribution. It has a built in archiving
feature,
fully searchable, and it has a place to keep files. All those folks who
want
to post scenarios, pictures, etc., etc. have a place to put them.

http://www.hyperbear.com

unimaginable mortician was revealed!"
 - from the Random H.P. Lovecraft Story Generator:

Prev: Re: [OT] Invading America Next: Re: Fir-Built Frigates