Prev: Re: [OT] Frog Bashing Next: Re: THE EYES OF A SOLDIER

Re: The same old shit!!!

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 11:07:48 EDT
Subject: Re: The same old shit!!!

Well as least the  subject line is appropriate. Another thread for ther
delete before reading category.

But first a few notes.

On Thu, 30 May 2002 08:00:20 -0400 "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@sprintmail.com>
writes:
>Cloaking lurker mode off...
>
>> >  I returned to the list to take a peek at how things
>> > are. Just the same I
>> > see!!!
>>
>> Actually, just restarted the other day.
>>
>> > I really must congratulate John on his consistency.
>> > I see, for him,  the
>> > French are the arseholes of the world right now.
>>
>> Actually, their major malfunction lately was having a
>> Nazi place second in their presidential elections.
>> But I can overlook that as it is only second place.
>
>So how is this different from Louisana electing a Klu Klux Klan leader
>their state government?

The KKK are significantly unsuccessful compared to the Nazis in their
efforts.

>> BTW
>> > John .they may have
>> > been a little lacking militarily recently but before
>> > you blow them away
>> > completely
>>
>> Actually, I've restricted my contempt for their
>> military prowess to post-Napoleon.
>>
>> ask yourself just how free you would be
>> > right now	if the US
>> > "freedom fighters" (or were they terrorists..?=0)
>>
>> Considering that unlike the sides in most civil wars,
>> we could actually tell the difference between
>> uniformed combatants and unarmed women and children
>> (See: Spanish Civil War, English Civil War, Assorted
>> Irish Uprisings, Any Conflict involving 2 factions of
>> Russians, etc.), that the Continental Congress openly
>> declared their revolt, raised a field army, and kicked
>> the ever-loving shit out of their enemies in open
>> field battle, to include the first time a British
>> General Officer had to surrender his entire command,
>> the correct term would be "insurrecionists."
>
>Excuse me, but a lot of innocent blood shed in that war by both the
>colonials and the loyalists.  Have you ever heard of the term Taring
>and
>Feathering?  It was widely practiced by civilians of both factions in
>that
>war.  How many homes of loyalist were burnt AFTER the war ended?  The
>American Revolution was a vicious revolutionary war.  If it were not
>for
>France being at the right place at the right time to end that mess,
>how much
>worse would it have been?

Depends on how long it went on.  By both sides, as you accidentally
admitted.

>> > ?) had not been ably
>> > assisted by the presence of a French army of
>> > liberation and a not
>> > insignificant French fleet pissing off the British
>> > navy!!
>>
>> I'm at least as well aware of the intervention of a
>> significant force of French marine infantry,
>> deGrasse's humiliation of the Brit fleet at the Battle
>> of the Chesapeake, and the personal contributions of a
>> large number of private French citizens as you are.
>> You see, I've been to Yorktown a couple or three times
>> and lived about half my life within a reasonable
>> distance thereof.
>>
>> HOWEVER, their singular contribution in the _18th_
>> century has no bearing whatsoever on the dismal
>> performance of their army in the 19th and 20th
>> centuries, the stupidity of the French Government and
>> People during the period 1870-1940, or the bombastic
>> egotism of the French during any time period.
>
>I have a great idea.  Let's bleed the U.S. as France was during the
>wars of
>Louis XIV, the French Revolutionary Wars, and the Wars of Napolean.
>Then
>let's see how good the U.S. Army is a 100 years latter...
>
>ias

And who do you suggest do this?  Canada?  Too reasonable.  Mexico?  Too
busy dealing with internal differences and economic woes.  Anybody in
Central America?  LOL!

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious@juno.com
Historical - Warbeads@juno.com

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: Re: [OT] Frog Bashing Next: Re: THE EYES OF A SOLDIER