Prev: Re: [OT] Invading America Next: Re: Star Wars: Ep II (ish) 25mm Figures

Re: [OT] Invading America

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@w...>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 20:13:15 +1000
Subject: Re: [OT] Invading America

From: "Ryan Gill" <rmgill@mindspring.com>
> >While we are on the subject, recently a historian checking German
> >archives found plans drawn up for a German Invasion of America under
> >Kaiser Wilhelm before the first World War:
>
> The American civil population would have made life bloody hard on
> them. The sheer size of the country and distances involved would have
> made them aghast at what it takes to get from A to B. All the while,
> they'd have been harrassed on all sides by a civil populous bent on
> stopping them.

Yes and No.
Look at how they dealt "harshly" with francs-tireurs in the contretemps
in 1870, and in Belgium in WW1.

a) German soldier gets shot.
b) Ten hostages get shot
c) Another German gets shot
d) Twenty hostages get shot
...etc
until either
a) the surviving populace turns in the guerillas, or
b) there is no surviving populace.
In which case no problem, move to next section to be pacified.

The large ethnic German populace in the Eastern states may not have been
all that enthusiastic at repelling a German invasion, especially if
limited.
Then again, a lot of them were in the USA simply because they wanted to
get away from the Prussian-dominated German Empire.

More likely, many of the "Minutemen" would have expended their ammo on
unarmed German-Americans rather than duke it out with armed invaders.

OTOH there's no way on God's earth that they could have taken and held
more than New England, and even that's doubtful. Just the coastal
cities,

Prev: Re: [OT] Invading America Next: Re: Star Wars: Ep II (ish) 25mm Figures