Prev: Re: [FH] Backgrounds ( was IF, PAU, FSE and ES Next: Re: [OT] Invading America

Re: [OT] Invading America

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Thu, 30 May 2002 11:59:09 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: [OT] Invading America

Ryan Gill schrieb:
> At 10:42 AM +0200 5/30/02, KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de
> wrote:
> >
> >While we are on the subject, recently a historian
> > checking German archives found plans drawn up for a German Invasion
of
> > America under Kaiser Wilhelm before the first World War:
>
> The American civil population would have made life bloody
> hard on  them. The sheer size of the country and distances
> involved would have  made them aghast at what it takes to get from A
to B.
> All the while, they'd have been harrassed on all sides by a civil
> populous bent on stopping them.

The info I've seen on the web (including some German press sites) is
not very detailed. As I understood it, the plan was mostly about
seizing key economic and political spots to be used as bargaining chips
rather than a serious invasion bent on conquering the country.

My impresssion, too, is that very few people took it seriously. More a
staff wargames exercise than a serious plan.

Which, I think, is the best use for such might-have-beens. Much better
to use them as wargames scenarios than for usually fruitless
discussions where nobody can prove what would have happened :-)

Greetings

Prev: Re: [FH] Backgrounds ( was IF, PAU, FSE and ES Next: Re: [OT] Invading America