Prev: RE: Star Wars: Ep II (ish) 25mm Figures Next: [DS/SG] FSE

Re: [FH] FSE

From: KH.Ranitzsch@t...
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 16:59:23 +0200 (CEST)
Subject: Re: [FH] FSE

Roger Burton West schrieb:
> On Wed, May 29, 2002 at 07:42:16AM -0400, Indy wrote:
> >I have always been bothered by how 90+% of the [more
> > vocal] people look at the FSE as a French-only group,
>
> Well, it does sometimes seem to be the pick of the
> "European nations which Anglophones tend to regard as a bit of a
military
> joke" list.

I guess the joke depends on the period you are looking at:

> Start with the French; fair enough.

Louis XIV, Napoleon

> Then the Italians,

Rome, the Middle Ages and early Renaissance

> the Spaniards, (OK, they had Harriers for a while),

The Reconquista, Conquista and Renaissance periods

> the Portugese,

The colonial empire, and the Napoleonic Wars

> the Greeks...

Classical Greece,
the Byzantines (Hi John!), though is a somewhat complex issue.

Even the Germans (not to mention the Italians) acknowledged that they
fought well in WWII. They just didn't have the ressources to fight the
Reich.

> none of them is really a country to make someone brought
> up with the British or American military traditions pay much
> attention.
>
> Which is of course psychologically useful... :-)

If you are an Anglophone ;-)

Greetings

Prev: RE: Star Wars: Ep II (ish) 25mm Figures Next: [DS/SG] FSE