Prev: RE: Big Games Next: Re: European Merchants of Death, Inc

Mission Foulups

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 02:59:21 -0400
Subject: Mission Foulups

1) You charge up the wrong valley (oops)
(didn't understand your orders quite...)
2) You charge up the valley and the enemy
turns out to have guns waiting
3) Your carefully laid out defense failed to note
a small draw that the enemy could use to move
troops up and breach
4) Your radios don't behave the same in the
desert due to atmospheric conditions and the
AWACS is retasked so your backup comms
method goes away too
5) The piece of new weaponry you've been
assigned turns out to have a critical flaw such
as ripping casings in half and jamming unless
the shells are lubed, but of course no one told
your MG team that
6) Your assault is delayed thanks to the G*^
D%$# Barnacle-lubbers and so hits the beach
AFTER daybreak
7) Offshore fire support arrives... short
8) An allied air unit doesn't have you as a
friendly on his computer... and he is armed....
9) Your reinforcements get lost and are late or
don't arrive
10) Your flank attack leader fails to push his
troops to bring an off-board enemy to battle,
thus said off-board enemy arrives to reinforce
the on-board enemy thus turning an ugly fight
even uglier
11) You run out of gas as your overstretched
logistic chain can't keep up with your penetration
12) You run out of supplies because enemy air
attacks savage your supply chain
13) You attack a village expecting to run into
the remnants of a battered unit that wasn't very
good beforehand... only over the last couple of
nights, the enemy has infiltrated one of their
best and most experienced elite units....
14) The pre-attack bombardment turns out to
be less effective than promised
15) The rolling bombardment meant to
precede your attack ends up chasing you
forward....
16) You are crossing a field into a village the
enemy has pulled out of. Your air units haven't
got the message and see movement....
17) You launch an attack. One of your flanks is
an Australian unit. The other is a French unit.
The Aussies run into a tough fight. You run into
weak defenses and push forward. The French,
though not hitting opposition of any note, turn
around and call it a day. The enemy rams a
huge counterattack into your side.
18) Your local allies have been infiltrated, and
you might come under sniper fire, sabotage or
meet mines the infiltrators planted as the game
progresses....
19) A key message is lost, due to a jammed
comms channel or dead messenger, so your
unit, following orders, is steadily diverging from
the rest of your forces which are pivoting
away.... and you have no idea....
20) Your airborne attack force has problems
navigating over target countryside and sets
down reinforcements pel-mel all over the place -
 some behind enemy lines.
21) One of your allied unit, known for its symbol
of a Big Red number One, gets the date of the
attack wrong and is sitting encamped when all
other allied forces launch the attack. This leaves
a huge gap in the lines, and other allied forces
promptly spend the next long while escaping
enemy encirclement after the enemy penetrates
the unprepared units HQ.

These are just historical examples I can think up.
One of them happened to my Grandad in the
Great War. At least one happened to my old
unit.

As for the whole naval combat system thing, I
have two comments: There are some lurkers in
that kind of work (Canadians). At ECC, a table
consisting of about seven of us were playing
post-con-day games. One of the USAians
mentioned having a high clearance at which
point 4 out 5 Canadians mentioned they held or
had held Secret or Top Secret clearances for
work with defence/police. I think that was a bit
of a shock :)

Another interesting scenario possibility, this one
for FT or DS on a large scale: Combat ship used
for demonstrating technology and show-the-
flag and testing new systems has key defensive
electronics package removed to test other new
system (which does not provide replacement
function). Said ship then (for some reason)
ends up in an engagement.... now instead of
being a cakewalk, said ship is far more
vulnerable and a serious threat exists. Not that
I'm admitting to knowing about any real life
analogous situations.... ;)

T.
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: RE: Big Games Next: Re: European Merchants of Death, Inc