Prev: shiptool v0.17 has been released Next: Re: [FT] Single-shot Fighter combat

Re: Fighters options please

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 12:40:19 -0700
Subject: Re: Fighters options please

Charles Taylor wrote:

>No, keep posting, this has been interesting!

I'll do just that.  I made a suggestion earlier today, I'm wondering
what
people think of it.  I can articulate it in a little more detail, and
even
PSB it, I was hoping the group could exlpore how it would change things
for
the better or worse.

Here's the suggestion.	With or without changing any other rules
concerning
PDS/Fighters, put the following restriction on fighters:

When engaging missiles or other fighters, fighters may engage in as many

dogfights as their endurance allows.  However, once a fighter squadron
makes
an attack on a ship, it may not make another attack on a ship until it
has
returned to it's own ship, landed, and re-launched.  If the attack
misses,
the fighter does not expend it's attack, unless the roll was a 1, in
which
case no damage is done AND the fighters must still return to reload.

PSB:
Fighters are much smaller than ships - in fact, according to what I've
been
told On-list that they're less than 1 mass each.  This means they must
be
carrying some special ordnance to allow them to hurt a ship.  It might
be
nukes, it might be chem-charged lasers, whatever suits your flavor.  But

this ordnance must be expended to in order to hurt a ship.  The fighter
will
probably still have enough remaining minor ordnance/weapons to engage
other
fighters, but rearming will be necessary in order to make another run on
ship.

As I see it, this has some potential for the situation as it's been
expressed by both sides.  Fighters do NOT lose any power for any given
run,
but it does stretch out how long it takes them to kill a ship, and it
makes
protection of their carriers paramount.

Thoughts?

3B^2

Prev: shiptool v0.17 has been released Next: Re: [FT] Single-shot Fighter combat