Prev: RE: Re: Fighters Next: Re: Re: Fighters

RE: Re: Fighters

From: Brian Burger <yh728@v...>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 19:56:23 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: Re: Fighters

On Tue, 7 May 2002, Ryan M Gill wrote:

> At 1:19 PM -0700 5/7/02, Brian Bilderback wrote:
> >
> >Hmmmmm....
> >
> >Not sure I agree with this.	Not sure I disagree, either.  However,
> >it is ironic that this brings us back to my original question about
> >connecting multiple fighter bays to 1 ops deck (launch/recovery
> >system).
>
> The problem isn't fighters. The problem is fighters in such massive
> numbers that ships get eaten like biblical locusts settling on
> fields. If you've got that many fighters flying around just killing
> stuff, why aren't you killing those carriers? Where are those
> carriers? So what we do is make it so Soap Bubble carriers are hard
> if not impossible to make.

The Soap Bubbles are parked about an inch in from the back edge of the
blasted table; you start somewhere near the other edge of the table. SBs
barf insane amounts of fighters at you, which come hammering in at full
move (24"); they meet your squadron/ship/fleet somewhere in the middle
of
the table, and do that locust thing before you're even within B4 range
of
their carriers, never mind more conventional sized weapons ranges!

It makes for the most boring, irritating games of FT it's possible to
play. My favourite games have always had either minimal fighters (10 or
less squadrons) or none of the damn things at all. That allows for
actual
maneuver, tactics, and things like that. (Imagine - a game where space
devoted to Thrust isn't "wasted"!)

Brian - yh728@victoria.tc.ca -
- http://wind.prohosting.com/~warbard/games.html -