Prev: Re: [no topic ;)] Heaven and Earth Next: Re: FB designs & fighters

[FMA] Full Metal Azathoth (was Re: '20s Boats....)

From: "John Crimmins" <johncrim@v...>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 21:15:26 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: [FMA] Full Metal Azathoth (was Re: '20s Boats....)

> I have a number of options for systems, depending on how many figures
I use. I
> was planning to do a major Innsmouth raid on the harbour area using
SG2. The
> only thing that really needs changed are some HTH rules for the Deep
Ones. I
> can also use Beer and Pretzels Skirmish, which should work just fine.
I've
> done some testing of Cthuloid scenarios with FMA, and have even worked
out
> Cthulhu monster stats for most of the major critters in FMA. This
would work,
> though the morale rules in FMA are still up in the air and morale is a
big
> deal in a Cthulhu scenario. I have stats for Battleground: WW2 worked
out
> using the Arctic Thunder advanced HTH rules, and with morale
modifiers.
> Finally, I can run it using Demonblade's Shockforce sci-fi rules set,
or even
> Warzone.

I actually wrote an entire Cthulhu supplement for ShockForce, with a
little
campaign and everything.  Statted out all of the monsters, came up with
simple
SAN rules, and made some army lists.  I'm quite pleased with the
results, and
was looking forward to seeing it in print, but the company had do go and
die on
me.

That said, I'd be quite interested in seeing your Cthulhu FMA stats.  I
think I
know how to handle sanity loss with this system, although I'd only
bother with
it for the really big nasties.

> The figures are Old Glory WW1 marines, RAFM Deep Ones from their CoC
> collection, RAFM thugs, police and townsfolk for Deep One hybrids, and
some
> old German Call of Cthulhu figures (my memory escapes me, but the name
has
> "metal" in it) for a couple of hybrids. Oh, yeah, and a RAFM shoggoth
for one
> of the buildings...

Metal Magic.  Kinda small, but they did nice work.  My Serpent Folk are
their
casting, as are my Mi-Go.  Lots of variety in the line, usually five or
six
poses for each monster type.  I like their Deep Ones, but I think that
the
Grenadier minis are probably my favorites.

> I need some boats. I looked at the paper boats and they could work,
but I'm
> really looking for something more like a rowboat.

Grendel has/had a set with a dock and a rowboat in it...stock # 1020.
Resin,
paints up real purty.  I'm not sure where to get them nowadays, though.

> >I've decided instead to settle on using FMA for some Delta Green
style
scenarios (like trying to
> >prevent a pair of would-be Satanists from summoning an avatar of
Nyarlathotep in the middle of a
> >crowded mall).
>
> I just ordered the replacement heads for Eureka's SWAT figures that I
ordered
> a while ago. I'm going to paint them up as Canada's JTF-2 counter
terrorist
> units (because I like the uniform colours and they will make excellent
generic
> anti-terrorist guys). I bought a bunch of Greys from Jon, and I have a
few
> Mi-Go (yes, I used to run Delta Green! *grin*). I'm planning to do a
"Return
> to Tora Bora" raid, with JTF-2 figures going in as Delta Green. The
landscape
> is the cavernscape from Geo-Hex, plus some sci-fi containers from GZG,
GZG
> "hybernation" chambers and a RAFM mad scientist disection table. It
pretty
> much writes itself...

Lord, yes.  Delta Green makes for nice FMA background, and I am deeply
ashamed
of myself for not considering such a use for my Greys earlier than now.

> > I have some Mi-Go that need to be painted, and I have a good
collection of
> >Serpent Folk, but I haven't been able to obtain a sufficient quantity
of
decent-looking Deep One
> >figures.  The RAFM ones are nice, but there's not enough variety in
the
poses to make them work
> >for my purposes.
>
> Those are the ones I plan to use. I have 30 of them primed. They only
have
> three poses, but I think it works for Deep Ones. I'd prefer to have
Deep Ones
> in different poses, but they don't acutally use anything other than
> hand-to-hand weapons. I can paint them subtly different to make them
unique
> enough for game purposes. The hybrids from the German company are
smaller than
> the other figures, but will do. The townsfolk will be perfect.

Get some pictures when you run this, please!

> I do have everything painted, except the Crusader 29
building/mausoleum and
> the Crusader 29 fence and gate, for my "Ghouls Night Out/Long Night
for Vinny
> the Knife" scenario. Gangsters trying to get an informant to talk. In
a New
> York graveyard. Around midnight... Again, the scenario writes itself.

Damn.  Move to Philadelphia already, would ya?

> All told I have about 4 or 5 Cthulu/DG scenarios in mind. Now if I can
only
> figure out what to do with my RAFM Cthulhu miniature...*
>
> * It's probably the wrong size for the Big C, himself, but probably
good
> enough for a Star Spawn...

That'd work fine, I should think.  I've got this vinyl kit of Ol'
Tentacle Face
that's probably closer to the proper 25mm scale, but I'm not putting
that
sucker together anytime soon.

--
John Crimmins
johncrim@voicenet.com

Prev: Re: [no topic ;)] Heaven and Earth Next: Re: FB designs & fighters