Prev: Re: [Painting] Next: Re: Another tack on fighters

Fighters [FT] and Decoys [DS]

From: "Thomas Barclay" <kaladorn@m...>
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 01:28:34 -0400
Subject: Fighters [FT] and Decoys [DS]

1. Fighters:
You can't even really do a non-linear point
system for fighters for two reasons: It is a fleet
wide thing, but also I'm sure it is really "fighter
advantage" not "fighter count" that makes the
difference. If you bring 101 fighters and he
brings 102, odds say the battle is fairly even. If
he brings 140, you're ass is grass. Also, if Jon T
has playtesters and convention goers who
complain about calculating range dice in FMA
style systems, non-linear math is so far out that
it isn't funny. Also, add to which the thought
that we aren't likely to see all the designs
reissued, so figure that we're unlikely to see
new systems requiring an SSD box.

2. Decoys
Oerjan, Beth.... thanks for the feedback. Allow
me to take a contrary opinion. Oerjan maintains
decoys are beneath the DS2 granularity, I say
not. Why? They are NOT beneath the SG2
granularity, and SG2 has ECM and Decoys. And
in SG, what happens? Units fire at a single
target vehicle. In DS, fire from units is resolved
element to element, so the situation is (IMO)
analogous. Now, if you toss out decoys for DS,
I'd say do the same for SG. I'd like to see the
situation homogenous, but I don't really care
which way.

3. Rules for homogenizing DS/SG
I had some of these posted on my old website
before it went "kablowie". I have them, plus
some new ones, to get done up along with 3.4
billion other ideas and user submissions, for
stargunt.ca. I'll never get all caught up, but I've
registered the domain for another few years, so
that one day I'll get up to where I should be
today..... (and I'll post notices when new
content appears like this that I know people
want to hear about).

Thomas.
Thomas Barclay
Co-Creator of http://www.stargrunt.ca
Stargrunt II and Dirtside II game site

No Battle Plan Survives Contact With Dice.
-- Mark 'Indy' Kochte

Prev: Re: [Painting] Next: Re: Another tack on fighters