Prev: Re: Fighter limits Next: Re: RE: New gamer

Re: Another tack on fighters

From: "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@s...>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 07:54:40 -0400
Subject: Re: Another tack on fighters

> If the fighters are overpowering vs FB1 ships, is it because:
>   A) FB1 ships don't carry enough PD?

If you look at it from a cost perspective, 6 fighters cost you 9 mass
and 27
points for the hanger plus atleast 18 more points for the fighter
themselves.  That's 45 plus points.  6 PD's and one ADFC cost you 8 mass
and
26 points.  So defences are 1 mass and atleast 19 points cheaper.  Note
that
if you sink most of your ADFC into a few "escort" ships, the counter is
destroy them first with long range ship fire and/or massive fighter
attacks
against the "escorts".

>   B) The fighter-vs-ship attack rolls are too good?  (ie they have a
> higher hit rate than the PDs.)

Nope, PD's get to fire first, so only surviving fighters get to fire...

>   C) The PDs don't do enough damage to fighters/ect.?

See comments from A and B.

>   D) Is it some combination of the above?

Not in my book, but there are people who will disagree.

>   E) Or is it really down to player tactics/ship designs/random
results?

This can make a big difference.

> Any educated answers?

>From me, you must be joking...

ias

Prev: Re: Fighter limits Next: Re: RE: New gamer