Prev: Re: [OT] Trek once more Next: Re: Another tack on fighters

Re: FT: Carriers & Fighter Capacity

From: "Eric Foley" <stiltman@t...>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 00:32:34 -0700
Subject: Re: FT: Carriers & Fighter Capacity

----- Original Message -----
From: "Laserlight" <laserlight@quixnet.net>
To: <gzg-l@csua.berkeley.edu>
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2002 4:10 PM

> Eric said:
> > All very nice.  But you've snipped the operative point

> Because it wasn't relevant to the question I was asking--not because I
> necessarily disagree with it.  I'm specifically *not* suggesting that
> theFB1 designs are optimized--they're not.

> I *am* disagreeing with you about fighters being no more unbalancing
> than any other weapon.  We rarely hear comments that one side had "too
> much thrust" or "too many PTorps" or things of that nature, we do hear
> "too many fighters."	So that's what we're trying to address.

And once again, you're missing the point.  There is _no_such_thing_ as
"too
many fighters"... only "not enough preparation for _dealing_ with
fighters".
The system gives any player with a brain plenty of tools for handling
fighter assaults in whatever bulk.  I have exactly zero sympathy for a
player who can't figure out how to use them.  It's been standard issue
in my
circles (both on my own part and everyone else's) to pack at least
_some_
sort of operational doctrine that accounts for fighters as a basic part
of
tactics.  Once you evolve that, fighters alone just don't work any more
unless they've got a support weapon.

Heck, one time in the last few months, just for giggles, I decided to
try
turning back the clock a little and brought a task force to a game with
my
brother-in-law that brought about the usual number of fighters... only
instead of any sort of plasma or needle support, they were just on
carriers
with conventional ship-to-ship armaments in the auxiliary.  I got
trashed,
badly enough that I realized very quickly that I should've known better
than
to figure that that would work any more.

And that's the point:  once your gaming circles get used to it,
you'll -never- hear the complaint of "too many fighters"... unless
people
are (not to put too fine a point on it) just too stubborn or stupid to
figure out what to do about them.  The tools are already there.  Use
'em.

Prev: Re: [OT] Trek once more Next: Re: Another tack on fighters