Prev: RE: FT: Carriers & Fighter Capacity Next: Re: FT: Carriers & Fighter Capacity

Re: FT: Carriers & Fighter Capacity

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Thu, 02 May 2002 11:47:52 -0700
Subject: Re: FT: Carriers & Fighter Capacity

Flak Magnet wrote:

>I had considered that, but if a ship you're "shadowing"  in the bow arc
>pulls a high-thrust maneuver you're going to have to bring your
>thrusters in line to compensate, swinging your fighter around in the
>process... It's always harder to "follow from the front".
>
>Keep in mind that a fighter doesn't want to obtain a static relative
>position to an enemy ship, because then it's toast.  The fighter has to
>dart and weave, and that means accellerating and decellerating relative
>to the target ship.  Something that's harder to accomplish when you're
>not following or to the side.

True enough... but in an extreme example, what if the target is a KV
ship,
and has it's bow pointed perpendicular to it's motion?	You're in it's
bow
arc (And probably dead meat, but just for argument's sake....), but
you're
shadowing the ship to it's side.  And if it uses advanced drives to
shift
movement drastically without rotating, who knows where the line of
movement
will be in relationship to the bow?  I think maybe it's just easier for
games's sake  that the # of fighter attacks on a ship be Mass/x.  The
arcs
limitation would be useful only if PDS/Scatterguns have arc limitations,
and
I can't recall if SG's do (I haven't delved into alien tech much yet).
If
there are limitations, then simply require that the allowed attacks be
divided as evenly as possible between arcs.

3B^2

Prev: RE: FT: Carriers & Fighter Capacity Next: Re: FT: Carriers & Fighter Capacity