Prev: WHOOPS! Was: FT Carriers Next: Re: FT: Carriers & Fighter Capacity

RE: Carriers & Fighter Capacity

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 13:38:28 -0600
Subject: RE: Carriers & Fighter Capacity

I think there was a discussion of this last year, but...

What about the idea of launch tubes like Battlestar Galactica, which
would allow the rapid deployment of large numbers of fighters - say 2
mass per 6 fighters, so a carrier could opt
for 6 sets of launch tubes to fire off all it's fighters in one turn,
but only have 2 bays to recover them, plus whatever is required for
storing 6 sets of fighters. (or perhaps fighters can be stored in
tubes?) Turn around time would be increased due to the extra effort to
load a fighter into a tube.

Plus the tube might be equipped with a catapult which could be simulated
by giving the fighters an extra 6" on their first move from the carrier.

--Binhan