Prev: RE: RE: [OT] wargaming at work (was Steel Wariors) Next: Re: OT: Documented source of the U.S. Army's use of of Smallpox

Re: OT: Documented source of the U.S. Army's use of of Smallpox

From: "Imre A. Szabo" <ias@s...>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 11:36:24 -0400
Subject: Re: OT: Documented source of the U.S. Army's use of of Smallpox

> WELL, WELL.
>
> STILL trying to stir nasty.

Shure, why not.

> does this volume discuss the enlightened British Governent policy of
> paying bounties for Indian scalps in the colonies?
> allegedly for "combatant" scalps, but pretty soon  for any scalps?
> hmmmmm?

from page 181

	The earliest confirmed English bounty for scalps rather than
whole
heads dates from 1694.	On September 12 of that year, the Massachusetts
General Court passed an act prohibiting unattended Indians from entering
the
colony without permission and offering to pay for "every Indian, great
or
small, which they shall kill, or take and bring in prisoner," the latter
be sold into slavery by the colonial government.  Payment listed for
native
scalps was L50 each, regardlessof age or sex, if the killer were an
average
civilian or professional scalp hunter; L20 each as supplement to the
meager
pay of militiamen; and L10 each to regular soldiers.^261  These rates
were
modified in 1704 so that an incredible L100 - four times the annual
income
of a good New England farmer - was paid per man's scalp, L40 per
woman's,
and L20 per child's.  "Men" and "women" were defined as being any Indian
over ten years of age.

end of quote
footnoted source:
261. The Acts and Resoves of the Province of the Massechusetts Bay, 21
vols.
(Boston: State of Massachusetts Historical Society; 1869 - 1922) Vol. 1,
pp
175-6, 594.

So Dawgie, is that good enough for you?  There are more from where that
came
from if this one isn't good enough for you...  But if you want another
one,
please move it off-list.

> or is it a work of fantasy  like that produced by the black professor
at
> University of Virginia that teaches all of the Pharoahs were black,
> HANNIBAL was black, CLEOPATRA was black, JULIUS CAESAR was black,
JESUS
> was black, among others,   and the the negro facial features of the
> SPHINX so offended the white	racist Napoleon that he directed his
> artillery to mutilate  it ?????????????

Heard about that rubbish but never wasted any time on it.

> if it is in a similiar vein, blow it out of your barracks bag, buster.

It's not.  This work has more footnotes then most history books.  His
documentation is excellent.

> why do you not let  anti-American love -hate thing you have with J OHN
> drop off list and let the rest of us concentrate on interstllar combat
> GAMES instead of "intellectual" my pee-pee is bigger than your
pee-pee?

> DAWGIE, who could care less about SZABO'S CRUSADE. . . . . .

Then why did you reply on-list???  I request replies off-list so
comments
like yours could be dealt with off-list.  If I produced bogus rubbish
you
could then forward it to the list and accomplish your goal without
wasting
band-width.

By the way, I don't hate the U.S., only some of the things the U.S. has
done, but I can say that about most countries I know anything at all
about.
I think the problem you and John Atkinson have is that I am NOT an
"America
Right or Wrong" person.

John Atkinson, thank you very much for motivating me to find a true gem
of a
book.

ias