Prev: Re: Quick question on GMS Next: Re: Slow planes was: Battle blimps

Re: Battle blimps

From: Glenn M Wilson <triphibious@j...>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 18:13:41 EDT
Subject: Re: Battle blimps

On Thu, 18 Apr 2002 23:44:33 -0400 (EDT) Roger Books
<books@jumpspace.net> writes:
<snip>
>letting
>> common sailors poke their fingers inside a high precision instrument
>is a
>> BAD THING (TM),
>
>I'm going to have to disagree with you here.  Poking their fingers
>inside high precision instruments is what sailors do, it's their
>job.  Soldiers drag their equipment back to the depot.  Airmen
>black box things and let private companies fix it as it can be
>flown back from the airport.  When you are at see for six months
>you fix it.  Techy type jobs are what the vast majority of
>sailors do.
>
>And no, I'm  not saying other forces can't fix things, just that
>sailors can start with the machine shop on the ship (or the
>electronics shop) and build what they need.  If they don't know
>how to design it one of the officers who is an engineer will
>design it.
>
>Roger Books

I can accept that in many cases.  It is cheaper in some situations to
buy
the repair service then to constantly retrain certain technical
personnel
beyond a minimum number when (in peacetime at least,) you can send it
FedEx to the maker.

Gracias,
Glenn/Triphibious@juno.com
Historical - Warbeads@juno.com

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!

Prev: Re: Quick question on GMS Next: Re: Slow planes was: Battle blimps