Prev: Re: Slow planes was: Battle blimps Next: Re: Blimp Bombing

Re: Slow planes was: Battle blimps

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 13:59:04 -0400
Subject: Re: Slow planes was: Battle blimps

At 2:53 AM +1000 4/20/02, Derek Fulton wrote:
>At 12:49  19/04/02 -0700, you wrote:
>>Possibly it can knock out an air threat or two.  I
>>would not be my life on it knocking out them all.
>>
>>Magic
>
>What about more conventional armerments? It's not like these
>blimps/rigid airships are going to be feather weights in the cargo
>carrying department.

They could carry AAMs themselves. Heck, they could probably carry a
brace of SM2 missiles and direct them as well as handle OTH for other
ships.

US Navy Blimps in WWII protected convoys and hunted subs. No convoy
escorted by blimps was ever attacked successfully.
- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: Re: Slow planes was: Battle blimps Next: Re: Blimp Bombing