Prev: Re: Slow planes was: Battle blimps Next: Re: Slow planes was: Battle blimps

Re: Slow planes was: Battle blimps

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 13:56:57 -0400
Subject: Re: Slow planes was: Battle blimps

At 9:18 AM -0500 4/19/02, Allan Goodall wrote:

>I know that there _was_ a ceiling. One of the problems zeppelins had
was that
>once they achieved a certain height they had to vent gas. The higher
you go,
>the less pressure on the gas. The gas would expand. If you let it
expand too
>much, the gas containment would rupture. So, they would vent gas.
Zeppelins
>would sometimes rise due to thermals, or other conditions (sunlight
could, I
>believe, heat up the gas and give the ship more lift). So, they then
had to
>vent gas to stop going too high and rupturing. Of course this meant
that when
>the conditions changed the ship would start to sink. They could pump in
more
>gas from containers, or they could dump ballast. Eventually they ran
out of
>gas and ballast and had to go home.

The more advanced Zeps had a special pressure valve that vented when
the airship went above "pressure altitude". The American made
Airships (The Akron and Macon) were fitted with condensors that
recovered water vapor from the engines in order to replenish ballast
and reduce the loss of ballast weight as fuel was consumed. Another
benefit the US Zeps had was that since we were able to use helium, we
could place the engines inside the skin (not the gas envelopes) and
greatly reduce drag.

>I suppose a very high tech zeppelin could rise very high, but I'm not
sure
>what the operational limits are.

Depends on how it's fitted. The Helium balloons get to massively high
altitudes. A Rigid or semi rigid Airship could get really high.
- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: Re: Slow planes was: Battle blimps Next: Re: Slow planes was: Battle blimps