Prev: RE: RE: Nukes Next: Blimp Bombing

RE: Slow planes was: Battle blimps

From: "B Lin" <lin@r...>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 11:08:19 -0600
Subject: RE: Slow planes was: Battle blimps

At 80,000-100,000 feet you could concieveably stand off from the battle
area by 20-30 miles and still have a pretty good view (maybe not in
mountainous areas, but still pretty good).  You could then load the
blimp up with a couple of dozen laser-guided glide bombs then have
ground troops use lasers to target for you.  The advantages would be
nearly on-demand bombing - no waiting for a fast mover to be in the
area, choice of warhead - the blimp would carry a variety of bombs, not
just one or two types, and then you could call in really big strikes
from a single blimp.

That would really change the pace of a battle like that in Afghsnistan -
small groups of commandos supported by 2 or three blimps.  Once you have
a track on the target, you can deliver a bomb within minutes, rather
than having a complicated and expensive set-up where you constantly have
an attack-bomber on call.  So highly mobile units - commanders, supply
convoys or even massed troop movements can be hit while the
reconaissance data is still good.

You might even be able to have the blimp as a C and C center flying
Predator drones to do their own targeting.  Think of how it might change
low-intensity warfare if a squad leader suddenly is given the capability
to drop a 500 lbs bomb on an enemy position.  Bunkers, MG nests inside
buildings, tanks would all be highly vulnerable to ground troops with a
radio and a laser designator.

--Binhan

<<SNIP>>