Prev: Re: [ds, sg] tech and scratchbuild questions Next: Re: Battle blimps

RE: Battle blimps

From: Ryan Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 10:18:20 -0400
Subject: RE: Battle blimps

At 9:21 PM +1000 4/18/02, Beth.Fulton@csiro.au wrote:
>G'day,
>
>One other thought that just hit me. Are modern weapons limited by
"lowest
>possible speeds" like some of the WWII anti-air stuff. I remember
reading
>once that the Swordfish (I think I've got the name right) did well
against
>anti-air in WWII as it went to slow for the weapons to track it ;)
>
>Taking advantage of that via battle blimps or other innovations based
on
>"lower tech" warfare could be fun ;)

Well, depending on how the blimps return was tailored, it could
appear to be weather on a lot of radar systems. Radar uses Range and
speed gates for determining whether to toss some return out in the
signal processing. A helecopter hovering could theoretically
disappear due to the ground signal processing if the rotors were
stealthy. If it sits at low speeds, it'd appear like it were part of
the terrain to a look down radar set.

EW has this whole group of different kind of jamming modes that all
have to do with fooling the radar receivers when they get the pulse
back.

For example, if one can send a strong radar pulse back at the
receiver while it is off axis from you, you can make your aircraft
appear to be off to the side by a great degree. Another method
involves sending out a radar pulse stronger so that the range gate is
fooled into excluding the later smaller ping thus making the target
appear closer. There's more to that than I state, but those are the
basic ideas.

EW guys could have a field day if they were able to get at a large
airship that was stealthy.

Ryan Gill			  rmgill@mindspring.com
	|	 |

Prev: Re: [ds, sg] tech and scratchbuild questions Next: Re: Battle blimps