Prev: Re: <snip> + GEV RVs Next: Re: GEV RVs

Re: [DS] Gently -- Capacity, Points

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@w...>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 08:52:42 +1000
Subject: Re: [DS] Gently -- Capacity, Points

From: "Oerjan Ohlson" <oerjan.ohlson@telia.com>

> >-->8--
>
> And this emoticon means...? <g>

Snippage. As in scissors >8

> >Non-combat experiments are to be taken with a grain of salt, but at
least
> >they answer this question - a Bill-2's trajectory is a lot different
from
> >a Javelin's. Whether there's a difference to an ADS is another
matter.
> >*shrug*
>
> Unfortunately the difference from the ADS's point of view is exactly
what
> we're discussing here :-/

> Oh, BTW - there are quite a few suspicions that the demonstration
shown on
> StrategyPage had been rigged... a fair amount of extra explosives
dumped
> into the turret of the T-72 :-/ The explosion was rather more
impressive
> than it should've been...

The T-72 was "fully tactical". That means with a 100% fuel and 100% ammo
load IIRC. Wouldn't surprise me if all shells were HEAT or HE rather
than
APFSDS-T.

Given the trajectory of the slug, it would hit all the ammo storage at
the
base of the turret. But most is propellant, causing a fast fire (flames
30 metres high out of every orifice) rather than an explosion.

So I'd say that they didn't exactly cheat... just used the most
favourable
possible ammo load, one unlikely to occur in combat.

> Again correct. The Javelin rises *very* high above the aim point,

You should see the movie on the strategy page, not just the stills.
After initial projection from the tube (at about a 30 degree up angle),
it tilts upwards at what looks like 45' or more. Very High indeed, more
like a Mortar round than anything else. STRYX or Merlin anyone?

> However, the controversy in this thread is not whether the Javelin
flies
> high or how you aim it; it is whether the BILL2 etc. fly high enough
> group it with the Javelin for ADS purposes (my position) or if it
flies so
> low that the ADS should treat it like a side-attack missile (Ryan's
position).

Without knowing *why* they should be treated differently ( detection?
background?)
I can't help. All I can do is give raw data and let you guys figure it
out.

At a range of 100m a Bill-2 looks more like a TOW-1 than anything else,
it
may well
be lost in the background of trees, houses, hills etc.
At a range of 10m the two are distinct, the TOW is still in background,
the
Bill-2 not.
At a range of 1m the Bill-2 looks more like a Javelin, it's at a high
angle.
But
as it's going off at the time this may not matter.

Prev: Re: <snip> + GEV RVs Next: Re: GEV RVs