Prev: Re: OT: Tasks of a tank commnader Next: Re: [OT] a clarification of my comments to David (of DLD fame)

Re: DS3 Heresy Mine

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 10:15:42 -0700
Subject: Re: DS3 Heresy Mine

Glenn,

>Why?
>
>Why have multiple points systems?

I think that most of the points system fans will explain that we only
want 1
base point system.  The reason most want a new system is that the
current
point system does NOT reflect accurately the game effects of the
different
systems paid for.

>Seems most of the work has been done
>different times by multiple knowledgable people using different
>assumptions, opinions, and for different 'genres' and there are many
>great derived systems out there without GZG redoing the game.	You like
>40K, change the rules as GZG says you should.	You like B5, ditto.
>Starblazers, ditto.  Mecha anything, ditto.  Starguard, ditto.  Yada,
>yada, yada.

True enough.  And a point value only system would only make this even
MORE
true - it would make NO assumptions about capacity of weapons, armor,
etc.,
it would merely rate the relativecombat value of such.

>Why does the *game* have to mirror either the current reality or a
>projection into the future outside of the current generic background?

It doesn't have to.  But as it stands it does - the capacity system DOES

make certain assumptions that the game becomes tied to.  By freeing the
points system from the capacity system, you can use ANY
capacity/construction system you want.	Or not.

>Why is it so damn vital to take a system that has holes (all systems
have
>'holes' and freaking min-maxing munchkins will always find them - it's
in
>their degenerate genes) and junk it if it generally works?

I suppose the answer to that is that it DOESN'T work - at least not as
well
as it would/should.  I'll let Oerjan and the other Numbers-gifted get
into
more detail, but many of the points values for different compnents,
especially armor and stealth, are either under or over priced.

3B^2

Prev: Re: OT: Tasks of a tank commnader Next: Re: [OT] a clarification of my comments to David (of DLD fame)