Prev: Re: DS2 Another armour\mobility idea Next: Re: DS2 Another armour\mobility idea

Re: DS2 Another armour\mobility idea

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 08:40:54 -0700
Subject: Re: DS2 Another armour\mobility idea

Indy wrote:

>Roight then! This c/would explain "slow tracked" and "fast tracked" (or
>any "slow/fast") mobility difference then, no?

This, of course, ignores the fact that the Fast Tracked/Slow tracked
method
of determining a vehicle's BMF is quite artificial:  ALL tracked
vehicles
have a movement of either 8 or 12?  That never made sense to me....  The

original proposal, while still flawed, does address the wide variety of
speeds that SHOULD be possible.

>So if you take an
>essentially "slow velocity" vehicle, change the transmission so its
>speed can be higher, you've basically just upgraded to "fast velocity".
>Just removing the weight isn't going to allow a "slow velocity" vehicle
>to reach "fast velocity" speeds

True, but since in DS II armor takes up no capacity, you can always
explain
that building a vehicle with a lower-than normal armor rating, and then
rewarding it with a higher BMF, does not represent simply making it
lighter,
rather, it represents replacing some of the bulk/mass of the armor with
more
powerful transmissions and suspensions.  I know, someone will argue that

this can be done just by making it a higher mobility type - again, the
problem I have with that is the artificiality of the fixed BMF's.

The only drawback I see with the proposed HR is that unless you also
adjust
the capacity and/or cost for said vehicle, you imbalance the game - is
the
increase in speed for the reduction in armor TOO MUCH of a reward?  How
much
to charge for the new speed?  Of course, if the DS3 system gives
appropriate
costs (in points OR capacity, whichever system you're for) for both
armor
and movement, that problem is solved.

Prev: Re: DS2 Another armour\mobility idea Next: Re: DS2 Another armour\mobility idea