Prev: Re: Starship Modeler - Starcrafts' Terran Marine and Zerg HydraliskPreview Next: RE: [DS] Gently -- Capacity, Points

Re: [DS] Monster Tanks

From: "Alan and Carmel Brain" <aebrain@w...>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 22:23:30 +1000
Subject: Re: [DS] Monster Tanks

From: "John Leary" <john_t_leary@yahoo.com>

> > > Soviet T35 tank (1 76mm gun, 2 45mm, 5-6 MGs)
> >
> > I don't think this saw operational use, did it ?
>
> Both this monster and the T28 saw limited operational
> use in the initial German offensive.	 I have read
> accounts of the Germans finding abandoned T-35 and
> T-28 tanks that had broken down.   Combat usage?

"As for T-28, the more numerous tank, actual engagement
 in battles can not be tracked that easily. Most of them
 were lost in the first month of the War, too. But the
 use of T-28 in Leningrad up to 43 and Kharkov 42 and 43
 is documented."

T35 - only about 50 production models made.
In 1940 it was recognised as being obsolete.
"...it was decided that these vehicles "should be depleted
 by attrition in operational units." As a result, all vehicles
 were collected in the 67th and 68th Tank Regiments of the 34th
 Tank Division of the 8th Mechanized Corps (Kiev Special Military
 District)."

I've seen exactly one photo of a T-35 in action in 1942, during
the counteroffensive round Moscow. This may have been the last
one still going.

T-28
http://www.battlefield.ru/t28.html

T-35
http://www.battlefield.ru/t35.html

Another interesting monster is the T-100 and competitor SMK:
http://www.battlefield.ru/smk.html

And the T-35's predecessor, the T-32/ M-II
http://www.skalman.nu/soviet/ww2-equipment-tank-t32.htm

The one that inspired them all, the Vickers Independent
http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/7413/a1.html

The German versions - Pz V and Pz VI, NOT repeat NOT Panther/Tiger!!
http://www.achtungpanzer.com/neu.htm

Soviet military generally(not just aeronautics):
http://www.aeronautics.ru/

Soviet military including "I was there" stories:
http://www.battlefield.ru/index.html

Soviet tank Development: