Prev: Re: [DS] No Capacity was: Points system (fresh) Next: [SGII] Heavy Support Weapons

Re: [DS] No Capacity was: Points system (fresh)

From: Alexander Williams <thantos@t...>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 05:07:24 -0500
Subject: Re: [DS] No Capacity was: Points system (fresh)

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 08:03:41AM +0200, K.H.Ranitzsch wrote:
> equipment. The more equipment, the more expensive going down to a
given
> signature should be. So something roughly similar to the present
capacity
> calculation is needed - perhaps in a simplified fashion. I see no way
around
> including such a calculation. Or do you ?

I disagree with the underlying axiom.  Why should Vehicle A with X
damage dealing ability, Y armour, and Z movement, that I've already
paid the points for X, Y, and Z, be made proportionally /more/
expensive than Vehicle B, without weapon, armour, or movement, simply
because they share the same targetability?  Its ludicrous.  The
additional price of the weaponry, movement, and armour suffices in
itself; why should there be another premium on top of that which has
/no effect/ on the actual effectiveness?  It violates the axiomatic
rule of the suggested design system.

If you really need to see it in action, again, look at the Jovian
Chronicles construction system; Size is a consequence of the cost of
the systems computed out and buying it down increases cost, and
applies equally to individual weapon systems as well as vehicles.  Its
probably the biggest wart on the system, in my mind, since it /does/
so clearly break the axiom of "it buys you nothing more but costs."

--
Alexander Williams (thantos@telocity.com)   |	 http://www.chancel.org

====
"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably
the  |
same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it
is|
their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to
provide|

Prev: Re: [DS] No Capacity was: Points system (fresh) Next: [SGII] Heavy Support Weapons