Prev: RE: [DS] Points system Next: RE: [DS] Points system (fresh)

Re: [DS] Points system (fresh)

From: Daryl Lonnon <dlonnon@f...>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 17:25:29 -0700 (MST)
Subject: Re: [DS] Points system (fresh)

> Daryl Lonnon wrote:
>
> >I'll stop lurking for a sec and ask (in case nobody has brought it up
yet):
> >Why not do both?
> >
> >Publish a fluff design system that deals in capacity points, sizes,
stealth
> >etc.
> >
> >And a Point design system that can then be used to determine the
> >point value of the resulting vehicle.
>
> The problem with such is that a pure points system may very well allow

> construction of a vehicle that is impossible using a capacity system -

> because it doesn't take into account how big weapon is (You can call
it any
> big you want), just how it's range and damage affect the game.
>
> 3B^2

I don't see that as a problem.	I believe your trying to say that you
could pick characteristics for a vehicle which you could not
shoehorn into the fluff/capacity system.  This isn't a problem, if
the fluff/capacity system says you can't build that vehicle ... it
just can't be built in that background.

The key is, that there is nothing stopping me from making up my own
fluff/capacity system that represents the background I wish to
play in, or just chucking them completely to go with just the pure point
system.

You pick up a truly generic set of rules, that also come with a series
of rules that map it to a particular background.  The best of both
worlds.

Prev: RE: [DS] Points system Next: RE: [DS] Points system (fresh)