Prev: RE: [DS] Points system (fresh) Next: Re: [DS] Points system (fresh)

RE: [DS] Points system

From: "Robertson, Brendan" <Brendan.Robertson@d...>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 10:18:35 +1000
Subject: RE: [DS] Points system

On Friday, April 05, 2002 9:15 AM, Daryl Lonnon [SMTP:dlonnon@frii.com]
wrote:
> So the Fluff design system would look (it's been awhile since I've
> designed any DSII vehicles, so this is probably completely off):
> Capacity = 5 x size of vehicle.
> Fixed Weapon system = weapon size.
> Turreted weapon system = 2 x weapon size.
> Generators take up x size.
> Mobility takes up x size.
> Armor takes up x size.
> Stealth takes up x size.
> etc... etc.. etc...
>
> So a defense of level a costs b points.
> Movement of c costs d * (Defense Modifier) points.
> A offense of level e costs f * (Def Mod * Move Mod) points.
>
> Total up the three values to get the cost of the vehicle.

A meaningful comment!  This is worth replying to.

I think one of the strengths of the DS/SG vehicle construction is the
Capacity Point system.	Just like real life, you have to make tradeoffs
between what you want and what you can actually get.
The only problem at the moment, is that the combat capabilities are
undercosted in points for balancing your forces.

For firecons, make the points cost logarithmic instead of linear, which
pushes down the cost effectiveness on the game table of Superior
Firecons
and other minor tweaks like that should address some issues without a
major
rewrite.

***
A random though regarding armour...

If we push the capacity of vehicles to 10 x size class, and make every
facing of armour cost capacity (including top and bottom).

Eg1:
Size 4 MBT
Capacity = 40
Armour: 19 capacity
Front 4 / Sides 3 / Rear 3 / Top 3 / Bottom 3

Which leaves 21 capacity for weapons etc, making it very close to
current.

Eg2:
Size 2 Half-track
Capacity = 20
Armour: 8 capacity
Front 2 / Sides 2 / Rear 1 / Top 0 / Bottom 1

Which leaves 12 capacity for troops spaces or medium artillery (and is
an
open topped vehicle!)

***
Brendan

Prev: RE: [DS] Points system (fresh) Next: Re: [DS] Points system (fresh)