Prev: Re: [FT]: Base Construction Next: Re: [DS] Points system (fresh)

RE: [DS] Points system (fresh)

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 11:38:09 -0800
Subject: RE: [DS] Points system (fresh)

One of the other B^2's wrote:

>Size: Size should be kept. It provides for a base to the targeting
>signature
>and capacity. Size itself should not have a cost.

Eliminate capacity altogether (Except for cargo).  Targeting signature
should be based on what you pay for it.    However, "size" *IS* a
consideration for cargo carrying ability/requirements, and for
bridge/structure transiting, and thus SHOULD cost -  X points to carry X

cargo, adjust total cost by Y based on space required to carry it and
structural integrity required to support said vehicle.	in terms of
using
size to determine the threat of the vehicle, that's more of an honor
system
thing anyway.

>Movement: Points based on movement. Movement does not provide any
combat
>advantage (until you get to 15" and can do evasive maneuvers), so it
should
>not have a multiplying cost.

Here I have to disagree.  Both speed and mobility type tie in directly
combat efficiency - you can have the biggest gun in the world, but if it

can't move into firing position, you're screwed.  faster vehicles are
not
only harder to kill, they have a better chance of getting first kill
chance
against other vehicles.

Various movement types should have a multiplier
>(hand-wave example: tracks are 1.0, GEV 0.8, Wheeled 0.7, Grav 1.2,
>Amphibious 1.1, VTOL 2.0, Aerospace 3.0, etc.)

Agreed.

>Signature: Signature value should be based on the die type and include
such
>things as stealth. Signature should be based on size and anything that
>increases the signature die should cost capacity.

Unless we do away with capacity.  Signature should be a multiplier of
other
costs.	Example:  Which is more useful on the field, all else being
equal:
A small vehicle with miniaturized weapons, or a large vehicle with bulky

weapons that have the same range/damage as the miniaturized weapons, but
the
vehicle has enough stealth to make it as hard to hit as the small
vehicle?
Neither - if ability to avoid getting hit and ability to lay on the hurt
are
equal, point value should be equal.

I'll skip the rest of Mr. Bell's post, this was my main point of
contention.
  That and one last repeat of:	Get rid of capacity!

3B^2

Prev: Re: [FT]: Base Construction Next: Re: [DS] Points system (fresh)