Prev: Re: VEHICLE SPEED AND MANUEVERABILITY Next: Re: VEHICLE SPEED AND MANUEVERABILITY

RE: DS3 points systems and features

From: Ryan M Gill <rmgill@m...>
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 14:28:40 -0500
Subject: RE: DS3 points systems and features

At 1:57 PM -0500 4/4/02, Bell, Brian K (Contractor) wrote:
>OK, but...
>
>I want some visual clue as to how powerful a vehicle is when I see it
across
>the table.
>
>"Oh. Here comes a little jeep with what looks like a machine gun, but
over
>there are 5 Ogre Mk. IIIs. I will concentrate my fire on the Ogres.
Boy!
>Those Ogres popped quickly. OK your turn... What do you mean that
machine
>gun fires nuclear shells at a range of 60"?!?!?! OK <grumble> page
47..."

>Yes, pure munchkinism, but in a system without limits possible.

Units had better look like what they are. My biggest pet peeve in FT
is someone who is using tiny figs for BBs and SDNs. No, I don't think
so.

If someone's scale is that out of whack, I pack my figures up. They
can go play cheese-fest at the War Hammer tables over there.

>When you mix miniature ranges, and each player bringing his predefined
>forces, you can face a lot of this type of situation (although not
usually
>as extreme as above), where a smaller, less menacing model (GHQ Abrams)
is
>more powerful than a larger one (Ral Partha Battletech PPC Carrier).

I run both actually. The Ral Partha stuff gets classed as Size 4 and
above. The GHQ Abrams is a size 3. The Ral Partha Schrek PPC carrier
with 3 tubes is part of my Artillery force for Med Artillery and a
larger ammo load. The multiple tubes work out as Multiple smaller
tubes that allow for greater dispersion on a given fire-mission than
is possible with fewer tubes in the same sized battery.

>I am not complety arguing against you. You should be able to match the
model
>to its capabilities. But 2 people looking at the same model might see
widely
>varying capabilities (is that a PDS or GMS?).

PDS and GMS gets pretty tiny when you get down to it. PDS could be a
conformal system of charges like the Soviet Arena system. GMS could
be conformal tubes mounted on the back deck, in a turret or in a bin
on the side of the turret. I even saw a design drawing for the
replacement of the Saladin (before the CVR(T/W) concepts) that used a
turretless main gun arrangement and had swingfire missles fired at a
45 degree angle from the very front of the vehicle.

- Ryan Montieth Gill			     '01 Honda Insight -
- rmgill@mindspring.com 			    '85 CB700S -
- ryan.gill@turner.com			 '76 Chevy Monte Carlo -
- www.mindspring.com/~rmgill		       '72 Honda CB750 -
-				      '60 Daimler FV701H Mk2/3 -
-				   '42 Daimler Scout Car Mk II -
-    Smart ID cards in the US, Smart ID cards in Hong Kong,    -
-		      what is the difference?		       -
-  C&R-FFL  /  Protect your electronic rights!	  \ EFF-ACLU   -

Prev: Re: VEHICLE SPEED AND MANUEVERABILITY Next: Re: VEHICLE SPEED AND MANUEVERABILITY