Prev: RE: [DS] Points system (fresh) Next: Re: VEHICLE SPEED AND MANUEVERABILITY

Re: DS3 points systems and features

From: "Brian Bilderback" <bbilderback@h...>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 10:31:19 -0800
Subject: Re: DS3 points systems and features

>From: "Tomb" <tomb@dreammechanics.com>

>2) DS2 should be one-off battle points balansive. Not campaign or
>economic. Why? Both of these are intimately tied to your world view and
>PSB.

*SNIP*

If my tank has 3 main guns on
>the mini, let me buy three main guns and damn the size class or
>whatever. If I want them to be HEL/5s, who cares? As long as my
opponent
>won't throttle me, and the point system makes me pay through the nose,
>then who cares if I argue miniaturization or the TARDIS like ability to
>cram stuff in? Assumptions about miniaturization, tech level, etc go
>away when you stop talking about "capacity" and rather just deal in
>terms of "capability". I have a weapon that shoots like an HVC (range
>bands/damage) of class X. Is it an HVC? Whooooo caaaaares! If I want it
>to be, yes! If not, it could be a crappy low-tech laser. Or it could be
>a first-gen burst flux capacitor engagement system.... does it matter?
>What matters is game effects.

*SNIP*

>Instead of trying to balance points per capacity, capacity per effect,
>points per effect.... all togther, simplify the equation: Balance
points
>per effect period. Do away with capacity. Let people build things as
>stupidly overarmed as they want, just have them pay pay pay for the
>priveledge. Right now, if we get a points costing wrong, it can be
wrong
>by capacity or wrong by effect or wrong by capacity per effect. Ow ow
>ow! Let's simplify, while yet making the game more generic and opening
>up more options for the players and designers. To add a new system then
>only involves points balance versus other systems, not a mass/capacity
>balance and a points balance.

*CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP*

Thank you for expressing better than I could EXACTLY what I'm trying to
get
at!  The only place for "capacity" in such a system would be for cargo
carrying, and even THAT is a matter of "X cargo capacity costs Z
points."

3B^2

Prev: RE: [DS] Points system (fresh) Next: Re: VEHICLE SPEED AND MANUEVERABILITY