Prev: Re: [DS/SG] Quick survey Next: Re: [DS] Dicing variants was: Hidden units

Re: [DS] Points system (fresh)

From: Tony Francis <tony.francis@k...>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 14:00:33 +0100
Subject: Re: [DS] Points system (fresh)

KH.Ranitzsch@t-online.de wrote:

> Tony Francis schrieb:
> >
> > Since there's no concept of capacity any more, the idea
> > of vehicle size classes also goes out of the window. Signature (and
> > stealth) should be a fixed points value just like any other system.
> Troop and
> > cargo capacity also becomes another system to be purchased.
> >
> > Remove all the artificial restrictions such as the limit
> > on maximum number of weapons, not allowing all walker sizes etc. I'm
>
> > sure we can all come up with examples of vehicles, fictional and
> > real, that break these restrictions. This is SF, anything should be
> > possible !
>
> Don't really agree here. Dirtside is designed as a (reasonably) "hard
> SF" game. So there should be some logic to possible combinations of
> vehicle size, performance and equipment. I don't want motorcycles
> carrying humongous superguns.

OK, I'll concede that one :-) DS2 isn't WH40K, for which we can all be
thankful !

Nevertheless, under the present design restrictions it's impossible to
legally design a huge number of historical or film / TV / book SF
vehicles.

> Whether the present restrictions might need revising is a different
> matter.

:-)

Tony

Tony Francis
Senior Software Engineer

Prev: Re: [DS/SG] Quick survey Next: Re: [DS] Dicing variants was: Hidden units